To secure work (through the planning and prioritising of estimates and designs for ground improvement techniques ensuring that high quality, competitive proposals are delivered to the customer in a manner consistent with the business strategy and procedures. Ensure that support is provided through the contract stage on all secured work and that safety is prioritised during the design process.
- Lead the bid process to ensure that tender deliverables are produced in a timely and effective manner. Oversee and/or interrogate design options and ‘value’ solutions, and if appropriate, identify the attractiveness of a project based on sound estimating principles. Activities to include the following:
- Support the delivery teams, verifying the work of others in a timely and efficient manner, and providing expert technical support, including visits to site and meetings with customers
- On key bids oversee and lead the preparation, coordination and delivery of presentations to customers as required, to successfully secure orders
- Co-ordination and management of input from consultants and specialist sub-contractors.
- Maintain personal expertise and knowledge to ensure that ground engineering is at the forefront of the industry both technically and in using the latest technologies and standards
- Exercise designer obligations of the Construction (Design and Management) regulations
- Provide market and work winning data to allow strategic decisions to be made
- Develop a culture of innovation and continuous improvement in bid winning
- Form relationships with the customer or their representatives to develop clear understanding of their requirements.
- Ensure a relentless focus on safety – WORKSAFE HOMESAFE
Personal Qualities and Experience
- A degree or master’s degree in a relevant subject and membership of a relevant professional body (ICE, GeolSoc) and a valid CSCS card.
- Experience and exceptional technical/engineering knowledge of ground engineering processes, temporary works design and ground engineering and industry best practice. This individual will, therefore, be a subject matter expert with a good understanding in other areas in the engineering field.
- The individual will be both focussed and thorough and have the gravitas and professional credibility to advise senior management when something needs immediate redress together with the tenacity and drive to ensure that the necessary action is taken.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners and delivery team members under time pressure. Customer centric and flexible in approach, they will have the strategic and creative insight to understand the range of opportunities in invitations to tender and be willing to challenge the norm.
- The individual should have a desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer and the ground engineering business